Saturday, October 8, 2011

Trip Time!

Although all students treat their abroad experience differently, a vast majority chooses to go with a study abroad company.  It makes everything from applying to school to traveling around SO much easier (in my opinion at least.)  I chose to go with ISA, International Studies Abroad, and so far I’ve been pretty stoked with my choice.  One of the main reasons I chose ISA is because they really want their students to experience the culture and history of the country they are staying in.  ISA offers all students multiple excursions during their stay that is actually built into the beginning bulk price (as in, no more bus payments, hotel rooms, etc., now that we’re here!)  They organize all tours, and generally help us get the most bang for our buck.  
Today they took us to Ronda, Spain.  I had never heard of this city before... actually, I haven’t really heard of many Spanish cities before.  But let me tell you, Ronda is GORGEOUS.  The road that runs by the city was actually the ancient road that took travelers and merchants from Gibraltar to Athens- so much history took place there!  While in Ronda we visited ancient Arabic Baths (wayyy cooler than I was expecting) and got to walk around the fortress surrounding the city.  The vastness of the area really just can’t be put into pictures or words.  It was truly breathtaking.  After all of that, we visited the Plaza de Torros and got a little history lesson on bullfighting.  Although I think the sport is sad and cruel, I understand that it is a part of Spanish culture.  I definitely won’t be watching a bullfight while in Spain though.  Culture or not, I don’t think I could watch the gruesomeness that takes place.  
Back to happy topics though, not only were the views were stunning, but I was able to pick up some pretty cheap jewelry for Christmas presents for my family... and for myself :)  
Next weekend I’m heading to Barcelona, Spain with a few friends- so be on the watch for more adventures!




My roommate Natalie, who couldn't have been a better match!  



Despite being incredibly old, the Arabic Baths had a surprisingly efficient system of water heating and cooling, as well as a super pretty layout- notice the ceiling cutouts that allowed sunlight to keep the rooms perfectly lit. 











No comments:

Post a Comment