Monday, October 3, 2011

Me te gusta, Toledo.

I'm not gonna say I liked Toledo better than Madrid, but it DEFINITELY had some awesome aspects.  I loved the old city feel (some buildings were built as early as the 13th century!) and the shopping was way better than Madrid.  When I say shopping, I'm generally referring to street vendors and artisans, because that's mainly what I'm aiming to buy while in Spain.  The food was alright, but not to die for.  I tried Gazpacho (a cold tomatoe soup thing) and I have to say, wasn't a fan.  We also didn't find any good sweets, but the views made up for that.  Take a look for yourself...




This cathedral was built to be the tomb of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, but before they died they decided they liked Granada better.  Nevertheless, the church and adjacent monastery was incredibly gorgeous.  Another fun fact, there are over 14 "nuneries" in Toledo!  That's a lot for this little town.  



Everything was HANDcarved out of limestone.  Pretty crazy when you think about it.



The courtyard between the cathedral and the monastery




The above picture is from the Old Jewish synagogue, built in the 13th century.  In the next few hundred years this poor building was torched, and its worshipers forced out of Spain.  The old synagogue was turned into a church sometime between 1700 and 1900 (forgive my poor memory, this tour was mostly in Spanish) and is now a national monument and no type of worship facility.



I died.  I also bought a handmade leather purse for 25 euros (Around $34)



Ah, Toledo.  I'm thinking one day just wasn't enough.

1 comment:

  1. Ohmygosh I am sooo jealous. I can't wait to see more pictures. And I hope you bought one of those handbags!

    ReplyDelete